IMPLEMENTATION OF ELECTRONIC TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION (eTA)
Following the Presidential directive during the 60th Jamhuri Day celebrations on 12th December, 2023 that Kenya will be a visa free country from January, 2024, the Directorate of Immigration Services has developed a digital platform www.etakenya.go.ke to ensure that all travelers to Kenya are identified in advance through an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) system.
Henceforth, all travelers coming to Kenya will be required to apply and pay for the electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to travel, with exclusion of the following exempted person;
- Holders of valid Kenya Passports or one-way Emergency Certificate issued by Kenya Missions abroad.
- Holders of Kenya Permanent Residence, valid Work Permits and Passes.
- Holders of valid United Nation Conventional Travel Document issued by the Government of Kenya.
- Members of the Diplomatic Missions and International Organizations Accredited to Kenya.
- Citizens of the East African Partner States; These countries include Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. (Exempted for Six (6) months)
- All passengers in transit through Kenya arriving and leaving by the same aircraft or transferring to another aircraft and who do not leave the precincts of Airports in Kenya.
- All passengers arriving and leaving by the same ship, and who do not leave the ship.
- Members of crew of any ship, aircraft, train, vehicle or carrier; whose name and particulars are included in the crew manifest of the ship, aircraft, train, vehicle or carrier; and who is proceeding in such ship, aircraft, train, vehicle or carrier to a destination outside Kenya.
- Owners of private aircraft stopping over for refueling in Kenya and who do not leave the precincts of the airport.